Interstate, Intrastate And International Relocation

Florida has enacted a relocation statute that requires court approval before a parent can relocate with a child more than 50 miles from their residence. For those parents who find living in different countries or states a necessity, their locations greatly affect their parenting rights and roles. It is critical that you understand these rights, duties and responsibilities.

If a parent wishes to move further away than is allowed by statute, the parents must comply with one of the following:

  • When both parents (as well as any other parties with visitation rights) are able to come to a mutually acceptable arrangement regarding the relocation, they may file a written agreement to that effect with the court. The agreement must include consent for the relocation and a detailed parenting plan. These agreements MUST be ratified by the court or the moving parent is in violation of the relocation statute.
  • Absent a written agreement, a parent looking to relocate a child more than 50 miles from the current residence must file a written request with the court. This document must contain specific reasons for the proposed relocation. It also must include a proposed parenting plan. If the other parent agrees, the relocation may proceed. If the other parent objects, a hearing will be held and the court will weigh all of the relocation factors before making a decision based on what is in the best interests of the child. If a timely objection is not received, then the relocation is granted.

Schedule A Free Attorney Consultation About Relocation

If you have additional questions about interstate, intrastate or international relocation, call 561-819-6208 or complete our brief contact form. Our law office is in Delray Beach, Florida.