Divorce is tough enough as it is, but when you combine it with the pressure of your religious beliefs, it can become even more difficult. Statistically, Christians are no less likely to divorce than any other religious sect, but that doesn’t make it any easier to process. The fact is—religion or no religion—things don’t always work out. Because the divorce process can be a little different for people of faith, there are some legal avenues that cater more to their needs.
Couples who can work together amicably may find benefits from working with a faith-based mediator. This person is someone who can not only help them reach agreements for their separation, but they can do while utilizing faith-based resolution methods.
These can include:
- Invoking prayer at the start of negotiation
- Remembering Biblical principles throughout the process
- Choosing forgiveness and compassion
- Committing to each other’s well-being, as well as the well-being of any children
- Keeping promises made during mediation
A Christian mediator can help you retain your own integrity and be true to your faith while going through this difficult time.
Christian Counseling for Couples
Another method some people choose is to explore ways to work out problems by undergoing counseling with a religiously trained counselor. These professionals can help your marriage not only through helpful insight into possible causes of your problems, but also with ways to keep faith strong in your marriage. These personnel can be Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT) who have training in how to lead you to solutions that work for your unique marriage.
When seeking a counselor for your marriage, consider:
- Are they religiously active?
- Do they have a reputation for reliable counseling?
- Do they use prayer and scripture in their practice?
In finding a religious counselor, you and your spouse may be able to come to agreements about how to stay together or how to amicably divorce.
Faith-Based Divorce Lawyer
Another method of staying strong with your morals is to work with a faith-based family law firm. By involving prayer and scripture into your divorce planning, you can take confidence knowing your decisions have been made in accordance with God’s word. With your lawyer, you can plan out how to work toward a cooperative relationship with your spouse that will preserve peace and family unity for years to come.
A faith-based divorce lawyer can help you by:
- Protecting your assets without involving unnecessary conflict
- Ensuring children have what they need to continue their religious instruction
- Helping you create Christian parenting plans