Prenuptial Agreement Attorneys in Delray Beach
Marital Agreements Lawyer in Palm Beach, Broward and Martin County
When contemplating marriage, the last thing anyone wants to consider is the possibility of divorce. Romantic ideals aside, however, a prenuptial (or premarital) agreement can be an excellent way of entering marriage without the worries of “what if.”
Contrary to popular belief, prenuptial agreements are not just for the wealthy. Rather, they are an excellent way for couples to enter marriage with a clear understanding of one another’s financial standing and expectations for the road ahead. Fortunately, our Delray Beach prenuptial agreement lawyers have everything you need to help you through this process.
What Are the Benefits of a Prenup?
Some of the benefits of a well drafted prenuptial agreement are as follows:
- Easing personal and family concerns
- Avoiding litigation costs down the road
- Protecting assets (personal, family, business)
- Protecting the rights and interests of children (those existing before as well as those born during the marriage)
- Wills, trust and estate issues
In order to be legally valid, Florida law requires that a prenuptial agreement be in writing, signed by both parties, after full financial disclosure by both sides and free from any fraudulent intent or coercion. Additionally, the outcome of any such agreement cannot be to the detriment of any children involved.
That said, there are virtually infinite legal complexities surrounding the creation and enforcement of premarital agreements. Working with a skilled prenup attorney is the best way to ensure that your rights and interests are protected.
What Are the Requirements For a Valid Prenuptial Agreement in Florida?
In order for your prenuptial agreement to be valid, look to see if you completed these requirements:
- It must be in writing
- The agreement must be notarized
- Any agreement made must be done so voluntarily by each party
- A marriage must be actually going to take place
International Prenuptial Agreements
It may be especially important for international couples to obtain a prenuptial agreement, to simplify a divorce that could be otherwise very complex and lengthy. It is also important to consider the laws on prenuptial agreements in all jurisdictions, to ensure that they are equally valid in those countries as well.
For assistance with international prenuptial agreements, contact Beaulieu-Fawcett Law Group, P.A. today.
Prenuptial Vs. Postnuptial Agreements
The main differences between the two are that:
- Prenuptial agreements are usually created before the marriage and outline any debts, assets, or property that each spouse may or may not be responsible for. Prenups also help outline who will be responsible for the wills/trusts/power of attorney if one of the spouses passes away.
- Postnuptial agreements are constructed during the marriage due to changes in circumstances such as adultery, drug abuse, hidden assets, etc. These are normally drafted because one of the spouses did not adhere to the prenuptial agreement or changed a component to their lifestyle.
Plan for the Future with a Prenuptial Agreement Lawyer
No one wants to think about the worst case scenario, especially when it comes to the promises of marriage. Thoughtful preparation now, however, can provide you with both peace of mind and protection in the event of a divorce.
Call our Delray Beach prenuptial agreement lawyers at (561) 600-5711 to schedule an initial consultation or go to our contact page. We have offices in Delray Beach and Wellington, FL.
Award Winning Attorneys
Well Known in the Community
Serving Your Children’s Best Interests
Committed to Protecting Your Rights
Exclusively Practices Family Law
Free Case Assessment